Myc fight back?

Started by bluerunner, October 19, 2008, 02:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerunner

Hey there, I am having a small problem with a contamination during the incubation.  It starts out black and gooey looking growing in-between injection sites.  I'm using the PF-tek with my own small changes, and anyways, One of my jars got this stuff in it so I removed it from the other jars and let it sit on a shelf at room temp (just wanted to see how what would happen)..but now I have another jar that looks like it might be getting this same thing..... Now my question is, is it possible for the Myc to fight back and overgrow the contam, and have the myc and shrooms from then on be "clean".
I read of someone else's growing journal and they were claimed that it was possible, but I'm not completely convinced.  I have though seen the Myc is the 2 contam jars begin to over take the contam areas. View pics.

In this pic the Black spot used to go all the way down the side of the jar and now it does not.

and in this pic the black contam used to cover the entire base, but as you can see the Myc is pushing.

So... say I've got another jar with small pockets of this black stuff, but I leave it in the incubator so the Myc can continue to grow at its preferred environment (the environment change does not seem to effect the black contam) and...the Myc continues to grow and eventually meets the black spots then ... perhaps the myc over takes the contam completely. I don't know, guess I'll find out one way or another, but if it does, does that mean the cake is good and clean to use for fruiting?

All help with this is greatly appreciated.

-Peace
Think for yourself, question authority.

Baphom3t

"Now my question is, is it possible for the Myc to fight back and overgrow the contam, and have the myc and shrooms from then on be "clean". "

It is possible and shrooms are good as long as they are not rotten.I have ate a few shrooms with Trich on them.
I've always taken my contam'd jars and dumped them in a outside bed and have had fair succses.

That's a bad case of contam on those two jars.
DO NOT open that in your house or smell it.
Some molds can make you sick and you have a mean looking Aspergillus Niger growing,and that can make you sick.

In all honesty, I would not trust those 2 jars and would dump them in a outside bed.
You are opening a big chance of condemning all future projects by opening those 2 jars when you goto birth them because those spores from the Aspergillus Niger will still be present within the jar. i.e lid,sides of the jar,dry verm layer that you have to take off and discard, and just opening it will introduce those spores into your house.
That defeats the purpose of growing mushrooms ;)

You got the grow TEK down, Up your sterility technique and try again is my opinion on this one.
Better safe than sorry.
You can keep them far away from everything and see what happens.
There is this thing called a miracle.  -_-

Baph

High4life

Yea those two jars need to be thrown away. I wouldn't take the chance in tryin to birth those two cakes...mission failed, atleast you go the others right?

g fung

Wow, that is MEAN looking!
Aspergillus Niger is less likely to cause human disease than some other Aspergillus species, but if large amounts of spores are inhaled, a serious lung disease, aspergillosis can occur. Aspergillosis is particularly frequent among horticultural workers who inhale peat dust, which can be rich in Aspergillus spores. Less commonly, it has been found on the walls of ancient Egyptian tombs and can be inhaled when the area is disturbed.[citation needed] A. niger is one of the most common causes of otomycosis (fungal ear infections), which can cause pain, temporary hearing loss and, in severe cases, damage to the ear canal and tympanic membrane.

bluerunner

Hey some of my other jars have a tiny bit of something else growing in there, and its near time to birth, can't I just cut the bad stuff off with a sterile knife or something?  Will show pics soon

Baphom3t

The last thing you want to do is birth a contam'd cake in your house.
C'mon man,you damning future grows to save this one grow.
Do you think it will be worth it to damn future grows?
I know you want mush but this hobby is not about cutting out the contam to grow the rest and hope for a fruit.
Once a cake is contam'd, it's time for a outside bed and hope for the best.
You can't cut it off the contam and think the cakes fine.
Mold is like mycelium in nature and will fruit accordingly.

Baph

bluerunner

Noted Baph, thing is I'm not positive it's contam at all I was only speculating, but I will have pics soon to better help.

Baphom3t

Indeed,updated pics would be helpful.

Baph

moonwalker

Remember as the old saying goes: when in doubt throw it out. It looks like it may be some sort of black mold or something which is very aggressive.
Moonwalker

Baphom3t

Yes, I mentioned Aspergillus Niger  in my first reply,but it is possible it's a camera affect,doubt it, but possible.
It's a slight chance the camera picked up the brf dark cause I can pick out verm flakes.
Nonetheless updated pics will give us a answer.
I'm leaning towards Aspergillus Niger,it just don't have that pretty BRF color.

Baph

bluerunner

Alright the highly anticipated pics have come lol, ok so I'm just going to link a bunch of pics, there are 5 jars total, 1 is classic Amazonian which looks the healthiest, and the other 4 are B+ , Now on a few of them there are weird bits of what might be or used to be contam, I don't know, so I'm letting you guys look. Just tell me what ya think. Oh and my plan is to put them all in the frig over night and then birth followed by dunking etc.. because I just don't think I'm gonna see large pins or anything maybe because there isn't enough moisture left in the jar.

This one is the Amazonian

Heres a good looking side of Jar #2 B+ also showing off my tek there.

This is also Jar #2 see the bottom spot, wtf is that? All I can describe it from my eye is that it's Black and the myc seems to be squeezing it sort of.  So yea Birth or no birth? and if I birth could I cut that part or it out?

Jar #3  :whole jar looks good, but this one side, these little spots of orange black. Jar does look to be very dehydrated.

Jar #3 bottom view

Jar #4 : this one also has small orange spots around in it in addition to that strange grey spot.

Jar #5 : and this one has the orange spots too and that black splotch.

My guess is that you will say throw them all out in my outdoor bed save the Amazonian, but still I'd like your opinion on the whole jig. thanks again

-peace

Baphom3t

Here's what I think the deal is.

Those are the same spots as in the first post. IF so,
that leads me to one conclusion after seeing the new pics.

Your sub was to moist and they are just taking longer to colonize those areas.
I can see the spots that were more prevailant in the 1st pic are now being ate by the Myc which leads me to this conclusion.
If it was contam,those areas would still look the same and the jars would problly be rancid.

You jars as I see them in these new pics look fine.
Just watch you amounts,and/or wrap the foil tighter next time.
Some how to much moisture got in there causing slow colonization imo.

Baph

bluerunner

Sorry I should have clarified that these recent jars are NOT the same as the 2 pics posted perviously.  These new pics are of 5 jars: the Amazonian, then Jar#2 3 4 and 5.   The two pics posted earlier were from the same batch but is not one of these 5.

but do you think I should cold shock them then birth them? or just birth them and into dunking?

bluerunner

So I birthed these cakes and found that upon cutting the dark spots off jars 2, 4, and 5 that the black stuff was very present in the center of the substrate... don't worry I birthed in a safe place.  But anyways I cut most of the black crap out and now I'm dunking them.
Hopefully Baph you answer this post soon, but do you think I should just throw away those ones?  Let me add that they all have been or did pin wonderfully... which gives me hope.  But if you think that the ones with some black junk should be tossed immediately then do tell me so. Thanks again. peace

Baphom3t

Get rid of them, do it outside,not in your house.
Do not breathe that shit in.
You don't want to take a chance on getting aspergillosis or otomycosis.
You my freind have just witnessed Aspergillus Niger.
Cutting out the bad spots will not help in any way.

Baph