Dried out cakes?

Started by assmonkey75, November 02, 2008, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

assmonkey75

Just got a pressure cooker, but before I did, I tried a batch of PF cakes steamed in a pot.  Inoculations seem to have been fine, no contams, but progress seems to be stalling.  The jars look very dry and I wonder if I didn't cook out too much moisture during sterilization.   

Is this a possibility?

Should I inject a bit of water?

k12357

If you followed the steam tek they should not be to dry.  ive had luck before with fliping stalled cakes upside down, then tap them until the cake moves down just a little in the jar creating a small gap in the bottom of the jar.  then let them colonize the rest of the way, leaving them upside down.  Air exchange with BRF is not nessicary but if you used the lids for the jars and put them on with the rubber down, it will slow the colonization imo.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

assmonkey75

I did put the rubber side down (against glass), but I left the four inoculation holes open.

I know folks have issues with cakes stalling as they approach full colonization, it may be worth noting that these are nowhere near completion. 

It took a long time (8 days) to show any signs of life at all, and even now (2-3 weeks later) the spots of mycelium are (at best) dime to nickel sized.

(Temp maintained at 80 deg.)

psilocybin warrior

Should I inject a bit of water?

> No. I wouldn't. But I mean if you don't see any new growth for a while I GUESS you could steralize some water and inject it's worth a try, but save that as a last resort.

but I left the four inoculation holes open.

> Recommended to cover those with tape.

try dropping the temps 2-3 degree's.

Are your jars tightly packed? that could be the culprit, but probably the lack of moisture.

When you steamed your jars did you cover the lids with tinfoil?

What ratio's did you use when making your jars.