Q's w/casing

Started by sin2win, October 11, 2008, 01:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sin2win

well to start, id like to know what do u recommend(prefer) using the WBS or rye to make the jars and y? as with the casing i read at the shroomery that u can use  Jiffy Mix from wal mart.. how is that?  Also, do u put the case mix at the bottom or just vermucilte(spelling mb) and its supposed to be damo, right? 

also when putting perlite at the base of the fc, is it neccesary to put dry perlite over the soaked perlite?  And is the perlite enought as far as RH if u got 2/3 cases in the FC... lets say almost no room in the fc(rubbermaid bin) TY for ure answers and advice... much appritiated.

Baphom3t

Never played with WBS myself.
I use Rye or Wheat,there's really no reason why I use it.I learnt using Rye and Wheat and I'm the kinda guy that has the philosophy "if it's not broke don't fix it".So I just basically have stuck to Rye or Wheat.

Never used Jiffy Mix.

"Also, do u put the case mix at the bottom or just vermucilte(spelling mb) and its supposed to be damo, right?  "

At the bottom of what,your trays?
If that's what you are asking you put about a 1/8th - 1/4 inch of casing at the bottom of the tray.
It's a formula like this :
1/8th - 1/4 inch of casing on bottom * Substrate * Casing

"is it neccesary to put dry perlite over the soaked perlite?"

No you don't have to.

"And is the perlite enought as far as RH if u got 2/3 cases in the FC"

There again that comes down to the size of your FC.
Rubbermaid tubs work good. fill it 3 - 5 inches deep  -_-
If your using a indoor greenhouse as a FC you will need a humidifier.

Baph

sin2win

So you suggest putting the case mix at the bottom also, ok (i read that contams can get to it and u might not notice til too late).

In the case mix, im doing the peat moss + vermiculite mix. do you suggest a 60/40 (60 peat) or a 50/50? also i want to add  Calcium carbonate or hydrated lime (was told ill find it in a garding store but not sure), Which 1 is better in your opinion.  I read that the calcium is safer as the lime burns up the mycelium.  Also, how do the oyster shells affect the case, baph i think u said their not necessary???

Baphom3t

I put a real thin layer.
That's just the way I learnt.
You don't have to put any there.

60/40 verm/peat.
I don't piss with Calcium carbonate or hydrated lime.
Peat is why there is Calcium carbonate or hydrated lime in the mix.
Peat has acidity in it. 100% verm is all you need and you could have saved yorself 5 bucks  -_-

Baph

sin2win

really, just straight verm... but if i do ass peat moss i need the calcium etc.  next time im using coir.

Baphom3t

You can use 100% verm.
90 / 10  verm / peat
80 / 20  verm / peat
70 / 30  verm / peat
60 / 40  verm / peat
Choice is really up to you.  -_-

The calcium carbonate or hydrated lime is optional in those casing TEKs if I'm not mistaken.
Coir has work really well for me.
Verm/Coir works really well also.

Baph