New hobby

Started by fattrout, November 11, 2008, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fattrout

Hi .... Made another set of jars a couple of days ago and noticed that some of the jars look like water seeped in while in the pressure cooker.   Should these be tossed or should I try to inoculate them..??  Here's a couple pics .. how they looked out of the pressure cooker.....

BTW ... here are a couple pics of spore prints.  Just wondering if you guys know roughly how many syringes I can get per print?

Oh yeah .. mushie salad was excelllllant~! Thanks..
fattrout

Baphom3t

Hard to tell from those pics if they are to wet.
A good rule of thumb is,if in doubt throw it out.
It's better to waste sub, than waste sub and spores.

Those prints will give you alot of syringes.
It's hard to determine a number but,you will get plenty.
I'll guess maybe 25 - 40 syringes if done properly,but that's just a guess.

Baph

fattrout

Thanks for the info.  Wish I had started this a long time ago, I am having a lot of fun with it.
fattrout

fattrout

Hello I am back with a few questions.  I been doing BRF cakes.  Usually do 6-8 jars in a batch and am working with treasure coast.  Now I am doing b+ and making my jars the same way I have been.  But it looks to me like my first flush is plentiful but small, barely  growing an inch tall, fat stems and small caps.  Here's a couple pics...any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Cake in the back (left )was fullly colinized two weeks ago.  I let it stay in the jar a week, then did the dunk and roll and this is what it looks like a week later.

Cake in front same thing but just put into fruiting chamber today.  It seems when I do a batch of 6-8 jars they do not colonize the same speed, this must be normal.

This is the first flush, shrooms are very small  and the  veils have broken and I feel I should pick and re-dunk the cake and the next the flush will be bigger???

In the mean time the spore prints I took I scraped about half a print into a jar of sterilized water, and filled 6 syringes.  Inoculated a few jars and they seem to be moving (colonizing) 10 times faster than the original syringes I got.  I am thinking I have too many spores in each syringe.  Does this make a difference in the potency or does it just colonize faster?  I appreciate any and all input.

fattrout

psilocybin warrior

I am thinking I have too many spores in each syringe.  Does this make a difference in the potency or does it just colonize faster?

>Colonization speed only.

I feel I should pick and re-dunk the cake and the next the flush will be bigger???

>Its def a possibility.

PW

fattrout

Thanks for the info PW, cruzzin' right along~!!! :mellow:
fattrout

fattrout

OH BTW are the small ones keepers ... or should I 'throw them back'??  LOL
fattrout

sin2win

keep em all dude, at least i do!

psilocybin warrior

I just had a thought, what kind of water did you dunk them in?

PW

fattrout

Sin -  I did keep them and the base of the stems were thick and heavy even tho the caps and upper part of the stems were skinny and small.  So I stuck them in the awesome dehydrater I bought and I was surprised by how many dried shrooms I ended up with.  Although I only picked the ones that looked like aborts and those thick looking ones to the front or right in the pictures.  Left the ones in the back cuz the veils had not broken yet and wow they are twice as big as they were yesterday. -_-

And to answer PW's question I dunk my cakes in natural spring water.  For about 12-16 hours right out of the jar. 

I'll post up more pics soon, the shrooms on the back side of the cake seem to be much bigger and I will wait for them to be done then re-dunk the cake?

Thanks guys ...
Having fun .... Fattrout
fattrout

fattrout

Hey.... here's a  couple pics I'd like the 'experts' to look at ......

first pic is the b+ I have been working with lately, notice long stems and small caps, could this not be enough RH? or just b+ characteristic?  The second photo those are some weird looking aborts or are they just mutants and are they still edible?  They still smell good but seem to be growing funny and came off of that same b+ cake. 
Thanks

fattrout

Baphom3t

I've seen B+ go both ways.
If your hydrometer is calibrated right and it's not high enough then raise the RH.
Cakes demand no less than 97% RH but prefer 100%.

The aborts are fine to eat.

Baph

fattrout

Thanks for info, been having a hard time keeping the RH up lately.  I believe its because of the drastically cold weather we have had causeing dryer air.  Anyways, I'll test my hydrometer and keep working at it. 
Shit maybe tomorrow I'll buy a new hydrometer to see if they read the same.  And I just got done inoculating a few jars with some golden teacher.  see how that goes.  Like always haveing fun!  Can't wait for new years..wife and I are having a nice shroom salad!
Thanks
Fattrout
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

After looking at your hygrometer I think its time to invest in a digi hygro, Walmart has them for 8$ thats both temp/hygro.  I used to use the ones like u got and for me they were real easy to phuck up the calibration.  Do u know how to check if its calibrated right?

PW

fattrout

Thanks for the reply, went out today and bought one of them there fancy digital meters =) and stuck it in one of my fruiting chambers .. check this out, these are some treasure coast I started from scratch.   Actually from the spore prints I posted earlier.  Think they are moving along pretty good.  Still working on getting the RH a little higher.   Oh btw I roughly know how to calibrate, I read it in another thread you wrote, a tsp. of salt in a bottle cap,,, couple drops of water in a sealed container right?  Hope you like the pics.  thanks....

fattrout

psilocybin warrior

fattrout

hey
i harvested those two cakes today and i couldn't believe it.  55 g wet.   stuck them in the dehydrator and hope they are ready for new years eve!!  i am!! ^_^
thanks for all your help and input.
FT
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

Hell yeah man, I just got some Ban Hau Thannon's ready to bring in the new year.  I was looking at ur first flush again, now im sure their probably wasn't enough moisture in the cakes.  You can tell by when the veils break while their still small(it's a defense mechanism) they have when they are threatend by death and they drop their shit.

PW

fattrout

Cool ... I think I got it.  Working on getting the moisture up in the chambers, its coming up I have it up about 95 now.  One other thing, when making substrate should I add more water to the batch?  will that help add moisture to the cakes and/or maybe dunk a little longer? 
OK happy new year ... time to trip  :mellow:
FT
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

One other thing, when making substrate should I add more water to the batch?

What kind of substrate are you talking about? Usually too much water before and during colonization = Bad, the mycelium needs to breathe.  But if im using casings ill gently pour some clean water in the sub when ever It needs it.  Usually dunking anymore than 16 hours is overkill and too long will kill the mycelium.

PW