New hobby

Started by fattrout, November 11, 2008, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fattrout

Hi, I have been looking for a new hobby and decided that studying mushrooms would be a fun one.  Back in Aug. 08 I bought a kit from Universal Scientific. The kit came with three pre-sterilized and pasturized substrate jars. I inoculated them and now I am on my way. Since then I have done a lot of studying and reading and found this site, and think this site is awesome from what I have read.  I will post some pictures soon of my progress as I am well on my way.  My biggest concern is contamination and I am hoping that when I am able to send the pics someone can give me some insight.  Mostly I noticed as my substrate jars were colonizing every now and then I would see very light blueing streaks and they would go away. I also noticed sometimes what look like little yellowish water spots trapped inside the glass.  I will be sending pics soon.
Fattrout
fattrout

fattrout

Me again ... also I want to say I have used the PF-Tek verm and brown rice flour and made my own substrate jars and have inoculated them and they seem to be doing better than the jars I received from U.S.    Like I said, pics will be coming soon and all input I can get will be helpful.
Thanks.
fattrout

fattrout

How do you put up pictures?  Everything I do does not work. Thanks.
fattrout

sin2win

Quote from: fattrout on November 11, 2008, 06:32:58 PM
How do you put up pictures?  Everything I do does not work. Thanks.

upload ure photo to photobucket (or whatever u use) then get the direct link.  In ure post, click the input image button then put the link in between the img's.

fattrout

hey Sin thanks a lot .. I am off to work now but will try it later.
fattrout

fattrout

Cake right out of dunking
fattrout

fattrout

Cake being dunked for 24 hrs.

First flush

Second Flush growing on first cake.  This cake was one of three cakes that I recieved from University Scientific.  I tossed the other two because of something black growing in the jars.
fattrout

fattrout

these are cakes in the fruiting chamber that I made myself using the PF-TEK verm brown rice substrate I learned about on this site.  Any input would be appreciated. My main concerns are the blueing because of what I have heard about contamination has me worried.  do you think these have signs of contamination?
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

The yellow drops or spots you saw in the jars is probably mycelium piss, and that blueing that you are seeing are most likely bruises.

fattrout

Thanks PWarrior.  I thought that may be the case but it is nice to get some input about it from someone with expierience.  Actually a friend and I researched a few and had a lot of fun doing so.  If only my high school teacher could see me now~! LOL
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

Yeah np, I take it by your name you like trout fishing? I caught a 5 1/2lb golden a week or 2 ago.

fattrout

Yes I love to trout fish. I actually only caught one golden but where I fish it is mostly brookies, browns, and rainbows.  And some cutthroats too.  As I continue my new hobby I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks.
fattrout

Baphom3t

Wonder where I was when this was first posted  :huh:
Congrats fattrout.
Those look pretty :)

Baph

fattrout

Baph - thanks ... this new hobby has been a whole lot of fun and am still making adjustments to the way I am doing things.  I have a cake getting ready to fruit now and it looks like my best one yet. Thanks for your input and look forward to my next fishing TRIP~!  ^_^
fattrout

fattrout

Hey I am back.  Just wanted to keep you posted - been busy in the lab.  But I am wondering my mushies don't seem to be growing more than about 3-4" tall and the biggest cap I've had so far is roughly 1-1 1/2" in diameter.  And then of course each flush seems to be getting smaller here is a picture of the third flush from original cake in this thread

oh by the way I am working with treasure coast is this a characteristic for this strain?

I try my best to search through this site before I start to ask questions and bother anyone.  Just want to make sure this is normal.
and here is a pic of a flush I dried but still they are not getting cracker hard but are spongy.  Some friends of mine and I have eaten them and had a good time on last camping trip.

Included here is a picture of a stump at our campgrounds with a lot of shrooms growing out of it, which I thought was cool. I know they are not cubbies but thought it looked cool.

fattrout

sin2win

hehe, yea dude mine were around the same size, check out my thread...
i just ate couple of em raw, couldnt wait for the weekend lol.
only ate like 20 somthing grams but alot were aborts (remember raw)
Good shit tho, im going to eat the rest of my batch w/ a buddy this weekend, i dont think its going to be enough  :angry:

fattrout

thanks for the info, I cured my drying problem, went out and bought a dehydrater, now they are coming out cracker hard .. LOL  Also just took my first spore print and I was amazed at the pretty dark purple color of the print and how thick it was.  Which brings me to my next question - do you know how many syringes I can get out of a quarter to fifty cent size spore print?  Can't wait for tomorrow night, so I can see how well my drying process worked~!   ^_^
And right now I am making cakes in 3 gallon buckets on perilite and it seems to be working well for me.  I also have one bucket that I am using a reptile aquarium humidfier and that seems to be working really good. 
fattrout

sin2win

what kind of dehydrator did u purchase? and where at?
i was looking around for one (stores) and couldnt find one where u can set dif temps.
i want 1 with a very low temp, like 95 or somthing.

fattrout

I got it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond..it is a Nesco .. it has the temp. settings from 95-155 and has 4 trays.  Cost about 59 bucks and we had 20% coupon.  It was worth it.  I'll put a pick up of the batch I just dried.  I checked on them after about 12 hours but they probably were dry before that.

I have 8 grams there and I think the wife and I are going to throw them on our salad tomorrow night.  Should be fun.
fattrout

sin2win

lol thx man, im going to bb and beyond morrow lol. i have mine under a fan and their getting dry but for the future id like somthing faster and more effiant.
Oh yea BTW, hope u guys enjoy the mushie salad -_- im enjoiing mine saturday, gotta work friday  :angry: