perlite in the FC

Started by sin2win, November 12, 2008, 11:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sin2win

Quick Q, the perlite set up at the bottom of the fc, do u soak the perlite before or just pour the perlite in the fc then pour water? 
If soak, how long do u soak and what ratio of water to perlite do u put?
Soak with distiled water for best results?

Is it a good idea to get the RH in the fc before u plase the tub's in?
would it hurt if u put the tubs in right after u place the perlite??

THX alot!!

k12357

just fill a strainer with perlite. then turn the faucet on and soak the perlite.  rotating the strainer so as to hit all of the perlite.  do that for a few minuits, then let it strain completly.  kinda level it off with your hand or a spoon or something.  put your trays in and the lid on.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

sin2win

that seems just like ure rinsing it, arnt u suppose to let it sit in water so it SOAKS it up??

k12357

perlite is a crystalline substance it does not soak up water.  it has many "nooks and crannies" with a large surface area.  is merely retains water in crevices on its surface. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

k12357

go here

http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/4668b8fe-7c51-44cd-ac3d-1cb71528184f.aspx

small video on a simple fruiting chamber, and how perlite works.  i dont use as many holes as they show.  i found it to lower the humidity to far. 

sin2win

yea i seen a vid earlier i got it thx, srry bout the confusion.