Vermiculite varieties

Started by lugosca, November 12, 2008, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugosca

I was unable to find vermiculite in the lawn & garden departments of the local stores. However, I found vermiculite insulation- is this the same thing, or at the very least, will this work?

Baphom3t

That won't work.
You need 100% verm,or make your casing from a differant material  -_-

Baph

lugosca

Alright, but what is the difference? I haven't been able to find any resources that tell me what vermiculite insulation is actually comprised of (besides vermiculite...).  :huh:

I appreciate the advisement. Unfortunately, it's winter in the northern midwest, and the home garden departments are pretty bare! If this won't work I may have to travel or order online.

Baphom3t

I live in the midwest and have no problem finding verm.
There is a possibility that verm insulation has other chemicals in it that may screw up a grow.
I never heard of verm insulation till this thread.
I'll do more research and see what I can find.

Baph

lugosca

lugosca

Additionally, I found the product website which contains a spec sheet:

http://www.sungro.com/products_displayProProduct.php?product_id=49&brand_id=5

From what I gather, it is vermiculite plus <1% quartz. I emailed the company to see what the difference between their horticultural varieties and the insulation varieties... I'll update once they message me back.

lugosca

I received a message back from the company saying that the insulation vermiculite is the same as the stuff they sell for horticultural use. Good thing, since I already innoculated!  ^_^

Baphom3t

Well that's good to know  -_-
It looked the same but I wasn't sure.
Hope it works out for you.

Baph

crazyd

The vermiculite I ended up finding was actually in a bag labeled "Realistic Ash Bed," I think to be used in gas fireplaces.  Nowhere on the bag does it say "vermiculite," but the actual price labels at the store where I bought it and where I saw it at Home Depot say "vermiculite."  The guy at the hardware store said it was just vermiculite.  My growth has been slow so far, so maybe there is something else in there, but it sure looks like 100% verm.  Anyone know otherwise?

fattrout

this is what i us and i buy it at OSH...

fattrout

shroomzer

you went to home depot and the guy who works there 'said it was vermiculite' .. i don't trust home depot workers any more than those uneducated idiots at frys ...

psilocybin warrior

i don't trust home depot workers any more than those uneducated idiots at frys ...

hahaha, ill second that. I had to buy a display humidifier cuz they were out of stock, it took 3 people to try to figure out how to put it back in the box. I ended up explaining it to them.

PW