First time- casing or cake?

Started by neophytic, November 28, 2008, 09:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neophytic

Hello all,

This is my first grow, and I just had a few questions about which fruiting procedures I should follow. I apologize in advance if I am repeating questions that have been asked and answered in other threads, but I have spent many hours reading posts on here, and just want to make sure I am doing things right.

I am growing EQ on BRF cakes. I inoculated 11/18, and so far they seem to be colonizing quite rapidly. Here's where they're at:

I have been keeping them in a closet with a space heater (w/ automatic shut off) set to low. It seems to be working well to keep the space at a steady warm temp.

I am somewhat confused as to whether I should grow them on the cakes or in a casing once they are ready. I am leaning towards a simple casing (as it seems to require slightly less attention as far as constant watering, and produces bigger flushes), but am unsure if I can do a casing with the BRF cakes.

I have a decent sized plastic tub (green rectangular kind used for recycling) for fruiting, as well as a plastic panel to use to dual chamber it as recommended here: http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_mmgg.shtml

I know Baph, Psilocybin Warrior, and a few others on here are pretty much grow masters, and I've already benefited greatly from reading your other posts. Please advise!

Baphom3t

That's looking good  -_-
Casing will produce better fruits.
And yes you can case BRF.
Read this >>>>>   http://www.fungifun.org/English/Casing

Baph

neophytic

OK, then I guess my next question is when to case. I've read material to suggest that casing should occur after the cakes have started pinning in the jars. Is this recommended or should I just have fully colonized cakes?

And, just to be clear, I've read in other threads that the limestone flour is unnecessary for the casing mixture, and I can use just a peat/verm. mixture?

Would a dunking be recommended before casing (or in between flushes)?

Thanks so much for the advice!

psilocybin warrior

When the cakes or spawn is fully colonized is the perfect time to case.

And yes limestone flour IS unescessary, peat/verm is fine.

You could dunk the cakes before you case them if you wanted it wouldn't hurt anything, it is possible to dunk casings, but it can be messy.  Its easiest to just mist them, unless you want to dunk them I can tell you a pretty non sloppy way to do it.

neophytic

I seem to be getting a lot of condensation on the inside of the jars as they near complete colonization. Is this normal?

Also, how long after the cakes appear completely colonized on the outside should I wait to case? I've heard to wait a couple days to make sure the interior is likewise colonized. I inoculated on Nov. 18th, and suspect that all visible area will appear colonized by tomorrow (Dec. 1st).

I'll probably just mist well prior to casing rather than dunking for simplicities sake. Just trying to reduce any margin of error on the first time. Maybe I'll hit you up for those dunking techniques next round, PW.  -_-

Baphom3t

The condensation is normal.
Most people that do cakes wait till they see a pin or two show up and then case.
The misting is not substantial enough to produce adequate flushes.
Dunking is a must imo.

Baph

neophytic

Should I reduce the temperature to room temp. and introduce (indirect) light to the jars to induce pinning before I case? If so (or even if not), how do I know when my jars are ready for casing (or pinning)?

And if dunking is a must to produce substantial flushes, then I guess I'd be interested in the specifics (any useful techniques to not damage the cakes, or otherwise). I know dunking is not a complicated procedure, but as a newbie here any advice is well considered.
Thanks guys for your help. T McK is surely smiling upon you.

captshroom

You could just dunk them in water for 12-24 hrs. Then roll them in dry verm that has been baked on a cookie sheet for a hour at 300 then cooled. To dunk them,I have put mine in throw away plastic containers with lids. Fill the containers up with water (I used tap water) drop in a cake and put on the lid. Make sure there is not much air in the container. Once you roll them in verm put them in the chamber and mist them. You want to get the verm as wet as you can without washing it away. Do this a couple times over the next two hours or so and then let them be. Good luck!

neophytic

When dunking do I leave it out at room temp? Also, I am not planning on going right into the fruiting chamber with the cakes, but casing them with peat/verm. as I described earlier. Rolling the cakes in vermiculite seems unnecessary if they're going to be in a casing mix anyway, IMO... or is it?  :huh:

psilocybin warrior

Rolling with verm is when your fruiting them as cakes, not casing them. Room temp is fine for dunking.

neophytic

K, that's what I thought.  :mellow:

Still curious as to the procedure between now and dunking/casing however... they appear fully colonized on the outside today. Do I wait a little bit to assure they are indeed fully colonized, and/or change temp. and add light to induce the beginning pins prior to dunking?

psilocybin warrior

you could wait a day or two to feel comfortable but when their 100% covered that usually means there fully colonized.  You could just stick them in something filled with distilled water so theyll stay fully submerged for 8-12 hours and then case them, or start giving them some light to start pinning before you dunk them.

MT

Is there an advantage to casing BRF cakes over just placing them in the FC?

sin2win

yes there is.
BIGGER yeilds  ^_^
Few extra steps tho so it's a tougher.