any body know ?

Started by doughboy86, December 10, 2008, 01:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doughboy86

hello i was wondering

i have perpaired some agar and i was wondering if i cut a peace of the stem of a mushroom one of the biggest in my batch and the fastest growing (extract a peace of fresh flesh) would it colinize ? and is that what u would call a single strain innoculation now that i have fresh ones how do i pick the best and get a single strain outta it . this would seem to be a better mothod (single strain innoculation) how can i attemp it ??? help a rookie out please

psilocybin warrior

What your doing is known as "cloning" -Pick the one that had the best performance.  When you cut out the flesh b sure to rip the stem down the middle and take flesh from the "inside" of the stem.  Prepare 3 dishes from the same stem to ensure you will atleast get 1 good agar. It is EXTREEMELY important to maintain sterility because its very easy to contaminate.  Keep a paper towel soaked with alcahol in your glovebox to clean ur tools. If you want, post a pick of all of them and ill tell you which ones "I would clone", after your agar is done get ready to do make a liquid culture.

doughboy86

wat is this liquid culture u speak of cant i use the agar to innulate grain substrate from there or a flower cake ?

psilocybin warrior

Well transfering your agar to lc would be the ideal way to go especially if your cloning, Ive got one question for you.....are you sure your ready for this? It doesn't seem to me you are quite yet.

doughboy86

i under stand what your saying but how would u extract the mould off the agar what are your methods maby do u mean a diffrent kind of agar then im accustomed to eg. in a petri dish

psilocybin warrior

Cut it with a razor blade or exacto knife inside a glovebox and transfer.

doughboy86

u are still very vauge i need more info what do i do scrape it off the agar and put in sterlized water then suck it into a needle ?? should one of my objective be to take as little agar as possable with the mould culture ?

psilocybin warrior

>what do i do scrape it off the agar and put in sterlized water then suck it into a needle

-No. You CUTa PEICE out inside the glovebox and "transfer" the MYCELIUM, not "mould"  to what ever you plan on colonizing.

- A liquid culture is not composed of "steralized water"

>what are your methods maby do u mean a diffrent kind of agar then im accustomed?

- and what kinds of agar are you accustomed to?

should one of my objective be to take as little agar as possable with the mould culture ?

- I don't know what a mould culture is and, No.  Your objective should be to find as much information on this subject as you possibly can before you attempt this.  As of right now, I dunno about anyone else but it doesn't seem like ur ready for this? Are you one thats doing PF-Cakes right now?