Do these look right?

Started by neophytic, December 12, 2008, 08:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neophytic

I'm sure this is asked all the time, but please bear with me.

I decided to go with cakes for my first grow for times sake (trying to get this first batch done before christmas!). I birthed the cakes 12/6, dunked and rolled, and placed in the fruiting chamber.

After a couple days I noticed fuzz growth that appeared somewhat grayish. Worried about cobweb mold infection, I kept a close eye on the cakes, and it seems the fuzz growth has slowed if not stopped, and they look more white and not gray under good lighting.

I THINK the cakes are progressing as they should be, but I just wanted expert opinion. Here are a few pics.

psilocybin warrior

Those are looking good you should be seeing hyphal knots then pins petty soon.

That greyish stuff you saw might have been a light formation of mycelium over the vermiculite and the colors may have blended together cuz if it was cob it would be all over the place by now.

neophytic

Pins appeared yesterday!  ^_^ One of the cakes is pinning quite a bit, the others seem to be lagging behind a bit.

On the cake that is pinning well, they seem to be developing largely towards the bottom edge of the cake. Here's a pic:

Is this normal? Also, should I remove the screw-top ring from the lids they are sitting on? Will it be in their way, or will they work their way around it?

psilocybin warrior

You could remove it if you want too, but they usually just work their way around. I spy with my thrid eye a few fat mushrooms that are gunna grow for THIS guy! Post some more pics later on  ^_^ What strain are those btw?

neophytic

Thanks! You guys have been a huge help. I'm excited to see the fruits of my labor (They're EQ's btw), and starting to think about the next batch. I think I may do 12 BRF cakes next (since I have all the stuff for that tek already), and fruit them in a casing. Assuming all goes well with that, I think then I may be ready to attempt a grain grow.  -_-

I'll post more pictures as they progress!

Baphom3t

neophytic

The cakes are coming along nicely...

:ph34r: I've decided I really love this hobby! It's very rewarding to see results after weeks of planning, prepping, working and waiting.

The one in the middle is a bit ahead of the others. All other cakes have good groupings of pins developing. The only exception is the one in the lower left, which only has a few pins popping out.

I treated all cakes the same, and have rotated them while in the FC, any reason as to why a cake would be ahead or behind the others? It seems with all conditions being the same they should all be at the same level, more or less.

sin2win

yea thats what happens with MS (multispores).  U never know what ure gonna get.  Everything can grow and can be different than another.  gotta do iso but thats a bit more complicated.  Im going to get a few more grows in be4 i get into that.

Nice job tho, keep it up!!

neophytic

I think I may have a problem! I noticed a slight greenish tint at the top edge of the middle cake....  :angry:

what do you recommend I do??? I hope to be able to save some shroomies from it... damn, of course on the one thats doing the best.  :huh:

psilocybin warrior

Hurry and post a pic or take it outa ur fc cuz if its contam's it will be airborn soon.  If its really at the top mid, you could steralize a spoon and scoop it out off the cake.

PW

neophytic

I looked at it a bit more closely, and maybe I'm mistaken, it may just be vermiculite casing under the myc. darkening it - I don't know. You can't really see much in the pics, but maybe a slight green tinge? Maybe I'm just overly paranoid?

:huh:

psilocybin warrior

Those look fine to me, for future reference It never hurts to be too paranoid about contam's its actually better because of the rate they can spread.

PW

neophytic

yeah, i think they're fine. they looked a little green at a certain angle - just trying to play it safe.  :mellow: i'll post more as things fill out.

neophytic

Here's where they were this afternoon:

you can see the slight discoloration on the upper edge that I was worried about being contamination. I think it's just slightly bruised mycellium.

They've almost doubled in size since this pic was taken... wow! How big should I expect these to get before harvesting? Keeping in mind they're EQ's of course.

Baphom3t

Pretty cluster there.
When the veils break they are ready.
Some may pop open before the others but they can go a bit longer till the smaller ones open their veils,that way you don't fuck up that pretty cluster. :D

Baph

neophytic

How bout the darkening on the two large caps in front here? Is that normal or ok?

I'm probably going to pick these tomorrow provided the veils break on the biggums.  -_-

sin2win

thoses look yummy, great job  -_-

Baphom3t

They are fine.
The splitting in the cap is normally caused by lack of RH.

Baph

neophytic

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

are the little ones on the right side aborts? Will they grow large or should I pick them before I dunk again? (I picked the large cluster shortly after taking this pic).

psilocybin warrior

Very nice man! Those little ones won't abort, you could probably dunk with the little ones still attatched I have back in the day just don't over do it.  Maybe like 6 hours. If not, just pick the little ones too and dunk or wait till their done.

PW