Fruiting in darkness

Started by nahinu1, December 22, 2008, 05:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why does everyone say to use light for fruiting?

Light Necessary?
3 (100%)
Darkness seems better
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: December 29, 2008, 05:38:06 PM

nahinu1

I've noticed that keeping my FC in the dark with a blanket over it produces faster growth of mushrooms. In comparison, when I give them light for half the day the growth slows. Why is this? The only time I don't have them in the dark is for the brief moment of fanning the FC. Once I've done that I put the blanket back over it, shut the closet and leave it be. What effect does the light have that benefits growth? I certainly don't see any benefit. Seems like it takes them longer to grow with light. Has anyone else tried this?

psilocybin warrior

You must be blind if you don't see benifits of Light, light is necessary to initiate pinning and tell the fruits which direction they need to grow.  Without light, they would be more retarded than your statement.

PW

sin2win

Quote from: psilocybin warrior on December 22, 2008, 06:47:00 PM
You must be blind if you don't see benifits of Light, light is necessary to initiate pinning and tell the fruits which direction they need to grow.  Without light, they would be more retarded than your statement.

PW
haha thats great!!! lol  ^_^

Baphom3t

"What effect does the light have that benefits growth?I certainly don't see any benefit."

http://www.fungi4schools.org/Reprints/Mycologist_articles/Isaac_answers/v09pp041-042effect_light.pdf

Then there is this,

Mushrooms are not plants, so they do not require the type and amount of light to grow like plants do.

Colonizing substrate should be kept in dark to make sure the substrate doesn't pin prematurely.

Fully colonized substrate should be introduced to light to initiate pinning - light "tells" the substrate that the conditions are right for forming fruit bodies.(light is only one of the factors though, the others are lack of uncolonized substate, drop in temperature and lower CO2 levels.

Only a dim light is needed, anything too bright or warm will harm the cakes. A fluorescent lamp or indirect sunlight is plenty of light. But basically any kind of visible light will do.

A few hours of light per day is all that is needed, 10 hours is probably an overkill. ( the book Mushroom Cultivator states that 12-16 hours of light is recommended, but the experience shows that much less is sufficient).

nahinu1,
It would be best if you know what your talking about before you make such ridiculous statements.
Light is mandatory in mushroom cultivation.  :mellow: :mellow:

Baph

psilocybin warrior

Baphom3t

If you only knew PW,if you only knew.......  :wacko: :wacko:

Baph

psilocybin warrior

psilocybin warrior

Is it true when it says gas exchange that your suppose to fart into your terrarium?  Ive ben doin that and it works great! I recommend from now on everyone farts in their terrarium for optimal gas exchange.

PW

Baphom3t

I thought I smelled a vile stench floating through the forums as I looked at stuff.  ;)

Baph

sin2win

Quote from: psilocybin warrior on December 24, 2008, 01:30:35 PM
Is it true when it says gas exchange that your suppose to fart into your terrarium?  Ive ben doin that and it works great! I recommend from now on everyone farts in their terrarium for optimal gas exchange.

PW
HAHA! PW stop it, ppl might actually do it LOL  ^_^

psilocybin warrior

Now that would be hilarious and make my year.

PW

spindrifter

Lots of 'gas exchange' in this thread.^_^

Just conjecture, but perhaps the blanket was keeping in heat in addition to keeping out light. I think temperature is probably just as important as light for fruiting, am I wrong?

psilocybin warrior

I think temperature is probably just as important as light for fruiting, am I wrong?

In certain aspects yes.  Too much heat is an invite for contam's, not enough heat just takes too long. :ph34r:

pW

guest1

Why are you guys so stuck up and mean?  The majority of people who write in do so 'cause there are things they DONT KNOW, myself included.  If this is what the guy noticed so be it.  One of the best grows I've ever seen was done as as an experiment w/ only a minute or so of light a day.  See for yourself!!  Go to the Shroomry and look for Bulk neglect report by Mycofile. You'll shit.  Also in Stamit's  first book he discusses an experiment done at a University which found that mushrooms can be triggered to fruit w/  only Milli seconds of light!  Thats why they recommend checking the progress of the caseing run w/ a red light, because even brief white expouser is enough to trigger pins. Dont be so hard on people.  That dude will probably never write in again.  Mycology is the best hobby ever, don't do things to wreck peoples expearance.

Cameltom

Why are you guys so stuck up and mean?  The majority of people who write in do so 'cause there are things they DONT KNOW, myself included.  If this is what the guy noticed so be it.  One of the best grows I've ever seen was done as as an experiment w/ only a minute or so of light a day.  See for yourself!!  Go to the Shroomry and look for Bulk neglect report by Mycofile. You'll shit.  Also in Stamit's  first book he discusses an experiment done at a University which found that mushrooms can be triggered to fruit w/  only Milli seconds of light!  Thats why they recommend checking the progress of the caseing run w/ a red light, because even brief white expouser is enough to trigger pins. Dont be so hard on people.  That dude will probably never write in again.  Mycology is the best hobby ever, don't do things to wreck peoples expearance.

ya if u want u can grow your shrooms with no light but i am going to use it
i dont think there being mean all you do is have to open your eyes a bit and most of the iformation people ask here is on this web site like thay just signed up to post and ask Qs
i aslo like shroomery and mycotopia

psilocybin warrior

Why are you guys so stuck up and mean?

> What are you talking about, If we were stuck up and mean....do you think we would willingly offer help to those in need? and that bulk neglect was....bulk.....and clones...... If all cubensis and pans etc could be triggered by milliseconds of light why would everyone say 4+ hours per day? why not 1 millionth of a second? There are reasons for excess lighting....trust me.

- Also in Stamit's  first book he discusses an experiment done at a University which found that mushrooms can be triggered to fruit w/  only Milli seconds of light!
> What kind of mushrooms were used in these experiments?

PW