sterilisation by freezing

Started by killerkerry89, November 03, 2008, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killerkerry89

hi guys! I'm loving the site, i want to grow my own shrooms (obviously!) because nobody i know really has anything to do with em. i understand all the principles behind growth and sterilisation but i wondered why nobody sterilises their jars in a freezer? if the aim of sterilisation is to kill all the 'competing' bacteria then surely this would work, meaning i don't have to buy a pressure cooker!! (though it will take longer) any thoughts???

kezzer!!

Baphom3t

What????
Are you serious man?
All the TEKS I have ever seen involve HEAT, Pressure Cooking or Steam Sterilizing.
Most Molds and Bacteria hibernate when frozen.
They unthaw and will re-animate.Thus contaming a grow.
You need heat to pasteurize or sterilize your jars and substrate.
Trying to cut corners in this hobby will cause you to spend more money than needed and will almost, if not always, result in failure and excess money spent. You got money to waste and time to fail?

Baph

psilocybin warrior

i understand all the principles behind growth and sterilisation but i wondered why nobody sterilises their jars in a freezer?

>Oh do you now?

I second everything Baph said.

P.S. It's spelled Sterilization.

Pw

Baphom3t

"P.S. It's spelled Sterilization."

Thanks for correcting my spelling error PW. 

Baph

killerkerry89

OK guys sorry,

What i meant is i understand why you must sterilize the substrate but i didn't see why you couldn't use a freezer, as i didn't know that bacteria can hibernate. so thanks for clearing that up, and im not mad, just new to it!! i wanted to make sure as i hadn't read anything on the internet about freezing.
whilst on the subject of sterilisation, would the use of anti bacterial spray (such as savlon) on your work station help prevent contamination during innoculation? or would you risk killing your mushrooms by getting anti bac on everything? 

also, i am using my playstation 3 for internet browsing, the predictive text said 'sterilisation' not me!

killerkerry89

thanks fang, i havent even bought any equipment or materials yet, im just sourcing information to try and make my baptism into the world of mushrooms as efficient as poss! yes, from what i have read they do seem very knowledgeable. i will definately post pics when i have something to photograph!!!  thanks again !

psilocybin warrior

Killerkerry, what tek are you aiming towards right now?

Baphom3t

"..but i didn't see why you couldn't use a freezer"

Use a frezzer in what way?
You will not find anything about "freezer" sterilization.
There is no way to seal it up to create pressure like a PC.
I fail to see how a frezzer would work for any purpose in this hobby.

You need HEAT (PF) and Pressure (Grains) to get the desireable outcome for your substrate.
You should start your research here killerkerry89
http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek
You want to, "to try and make my baptism into the world of mushrooms as efficient as poss! "
then read that and research it until your brain bleeds  -_-

Baph

killerkerry89

PW, i was going to follow the pftek video for simple minds on the video page. my plan was stick to the video instructions all the way through until i had completed several growth cycles and i was comfortable with what i was doing, then try different variations on technique and strains etc.

i will definately be reading up baph, ive already discarded the freezing idea, looks like a trip to john lewis in order!!! ^_^

cheers dudes

Bradini267

To.... PW

PS: Before you spell check someone, you should spell check yo-self

http://www.fungifun.org/forum/index.php?topic=920.0

steralized ??????

psilocybin warrior

Cool, good to see atleast someones got too much free time.

PW

Baphom3t

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Hey Bradini267, since your trolling and not adding any helpful information to the original post, let's play a game.
Quote from: Bradini267 on December 26, 2008, 11:23:48 PM
To.... PW

PS: Before you spell check someone, you should spell check yo-self

http://www.fungifun.org/forum/index.php?topic=920.0

steralized ??????

Do you notice anything wrong with this quote of yours?
I do  -_- :wacko: -_-
I beilive the proper spelling for the last word in the PS section of your reply would be,
Yourself not yo-self.

Learn to type proper english before you try correcting somebody elses. Some of us that make spelling mistakes , may not uderstand what you are saying by yo-self.  ;) ;) :)

Baph

psilocybin warrior

Hahaha.... Baph good lookin out.

PW

Bradini267

How can you correct someone when you can't spell the word yourself ?

I am just stating facts, not trying to be a "troll".

Don't take it the wrong way.

psilocybin warrior

Well if you must know, that time of the post I was in the midst or 4 final's while working full time 3rd shift.  I still wanted to help those guys out and I just rushed through keeping the best response in mind, (not spelling) and I would rather give them the right answer with one spelling mistake than the wrong answer with no spelling mistakes  Also, it is obvious that I can spell the word right since I've already corrected someone on it. So fyi, don't expect any help from me when you're being a smartass pointing out 1 mistake ive made in a completely unrelated thread.

PW

Bradini267

I just don't think you should point out peoples mistakes, when you make mistakes yourself.
It makes you sound arrogant.
I think it is childish behavior.

psilocybin warrior

> How can you correct someone when you can't spell the word yourself ?

Wow really? do you even realize what you said? even more... how it pertains to you?

and I wasn't a rude *cunt rag* when I corrected one spelling error.

Quote from: Bradini267 on December 29, 2008, 03:12:55 PM
I just don't think you should point out peoples mistakes, when you make mistakes yourself.
It makes you sound arrogant.
I think it is childish behavior.

So you are calling yourself arrogant and childish, atleast your willing to admit it.  And where would this world be today if no one pointed out mistakes of others? Also as far as grammar and etiquette  goes its more politically correct to call them errors  ^_^ a mistake would be your parents having drunk sex without a condom.

PS: If you really wan't to talk more shit, start a new thread bud.

PW