Casing PF-Cakes??

Started by Cameltom, January 03, 2009, 08:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameltom

why would some one Case mushrooms?
Does it make a better yeald or does it just look nicer than a cake???
sorry if it seems dumm to askbut i was thinking if i should case my cakes

psilocybin warrior

Casings provide extra moisture and in most cases nutrients, unless you case 100% verm.  It also gives a larger surface area and the larger the surface area the more mushrooms you have the potential to produce. And personally I find that casings grow more straight mushrooms as opposed to cakes.

PW

Cameltom

that makes alot of sense thanks
I'm going to read up on Casing cakes
how long does it take for the case to Colonize??? and in your opinion is it worth the extra time and chance of contamination worth it??
and sorry but would it work better with a deeper bread pan or cutting the cakes in half and putting then in a more shallow pan to case it in??
I'm sorry for all of the Qs thank you

psilocybin warrior

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Casing

how long does it take for the case to Colonize???

-Depends on how much spawn you put into the casing, usually 3-5 days.

and in your opinion is it worth the extra time and chance of contamination worth it??

-Very much so, as time goes by you should keep practicing steril techniques. Personally I don't remember the last time I saw anything of mine contaminated.

would it work better with a deeper bread pan or cutting the cakes in half and putting then in a more shallow pan to case it in??

- Cutting the cakes in half will work just remember to flame your knife then wipe it with alch.  I crumble my spawn for casings.

HW: If you could read up on casings a little more and tell me the answer to your last question.

PW

Cameltom

thank you vary much i have been reeding on casing but i cant find any thing that tells me if i should use a deep dish or a shallow dish
some one told me that casing cakes produse more because of the suffuse matter is larger than in cakes so if this is true cutting them in half and making 2x as many casings which would give u 2x the suffuse right???
but would it take more time to colonize sense its damaged from cutting it in half??
i am full of dumb Qs
i highly appreciate it thank u agen

Rapid_Recoil

Ok First of all it said right in the PF- Tech. You just need to read a little better but here it is word for word.

The depth of the container should be 1/2 to 1 inch larger than the cakes are tall. If you only have a lower container, you can cut the cakes in half, or even put them into a clean plastic bag and crumble them from the outside, so you end up with pieces the size of a marble. I prefer the taller containers because it is simply less work.

Cameltom

i guess i said it wrong sorry
what i ment is if u take like 3 cakes put them in a bread pan that is 1/2 inch taller than the cakes and then case them thats normall right

if u took 3 cakes cut  them in 1/2 and use 2 pans that weren't as tall would u get more yield
does that make any seance???
thanks

psilocybin warrior

Cameltom

Rapid_Recoil

Yes u welcome srry didnt mean to come off as a ---- been a long week.