Gotta slow Strain?

Started by See_Jay, January 06, 2009, 06:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

See_Jay

I used a Rye flour and verm mix and i got a few prints from a friend, i inoculated the jars about 3 weeks ago and only one looks to be about a fourth of the way colonized, and 2 only a small amount, and one hasnt even colonized yet, is it a slow strain or is it that im using rye flour?
Mycology is a wonderful thing.

Baphom3t

There could be a couple issues at work.

1. the sub may have compacted after sterilizing.

2. enviromental conditions may not be correct.

I've seen PF jars take up to 4 weeks to even see growth.
I'd say the sub compacted and it will just take more time for it to colonize.
A description of the enviromental conditions would be helpful.
Since you have growth in 3 of them , just let them be , they will just take more time.

Baph

See_Jay

I have the jars in an aquarium covered in rags with  a heat lamp on them, im gonna get a heating pad so if the light is messing with them it wouldnt b a problem, i check on them about every other day, is it bad to handle them?

ive heard a few things about crumbling the cakes when they colonize what does then do and how do u do it?

psilocybin warrior

Might as well just build an incubator its pretty cheap.

i check on them about every other day, is it bad to handle them

- I don't do that anymore, I like waiting a week and seeing it almost done.

is it bad to handle them?

- If they stay in the jars no.

ive heard a few things about crumbling the cakes when they colonize what does then do and how do u do it?

- Crumbling cakes is good when your doing a casing or tubs or actually some other things.  You can put the cakes into any size(that the cakes will fit) and just gently crumble them up so you can make a nice even layer for your casing or tub.

PW

Baphom3t

If they are not in complete darkness that can be a contributing factor.
One way around that is to wrap your jars with foil to ensure complte darkness.

"is it bad to handle them?"

The jars no.
Crumbling cakes is pointless IMO because it takes a couple extra days for the myc to recoup.

Baph

See_Jay

other than the recoup would you get more out of the cake ordoes it exaust just as fast?

When a cake does exaust, why is it exausted, has it run out of nutrients or something?

psilocybin warrior

other than the recoup would you get more out of the cake ordoes it exaust just as fast?

-Dunking will give more, generally same amt of time dunk/no dunk.

When a cake does exaust, why is it exausted, has it run out of nutrients or something?

- For the most part yes.

PW

See_Jay

i read somewhere that you can use mycellium as a way to start colonization in a jar, is there a a way that an exausted cake could be used for that?

sin2win

no, its exausted... throw it out, u need grains for a G2G(grain2grain) transfer, try using the search functoin on more info, im sure its there GL.

See_Jay

alright thank you for all the info ill probobly end up asking athoer questions later, sry if they are rtarded questions...