Fungifun - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - sbsat7

Pages: [1]
1
Cultivation / paint on pressure cooker rack
« on: July 23, 2007, 01:23:50 PM »
I used a pressure cooker to sterilize some mushroom substrate, but now I have some concern that the substrate may contain toxic materials.  I placed the jars on a metal rack in the pressure cooker, and the metal rack had paint on it.  When I opened the pressure cooker (after cooking), there was a bit of a funny smell and the paint on the rack had to some extent melted.  The jars had Tyvek covers, as well as a covering of tin foil.  Is it possible that toxic chemicals could have been released from the paint in the cooking process, and that these chemicals could have somehow made their way around the tin foil and through the Tyvek into the substrate?  Could such chemicals then be absorbed by the mycelium and included in the mushrooms to cause detrimental effects to those who eat the mushrooms?

Pages: [1]